[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Fri Dec 21 00:36:59 UTC 2007

Dave Davey wrote:
[snip]

> If AUUG wants to merge with/be taken over by/be incorporated into/ LA, my
> view is that this is not conceptually easy and does not involve equals.
> LA's charter relates to community - a large coverage.  AUUG is for
> professionals - to my way of thinking a small subset of the community.
> This is not an argument against any new relationship or structure, but
> I think it does say we should move cautiously and not start with discussions
> about a name change.  Let things evolve with LA's brand untarnished (except
> perhaps for some small print acknowledgement "incorporating AUUG") and
> see what happens.  If there are many new members and they make an impact
> a new name may evolve.  The name is not the starting point.

are there other options to be canvassed by AUUG?  As a professional
association, as their charter states, is it, as dave says, a fait
accompli to join with Linux Australia a proudly community focussed group?

Is an industry group such as OSIA something to investigate?

Is the Australian Computer Society an option?  ACS has a couple of
national special interest groups that are basically other
'organisations' which have seen the value in becoming a national SIG of
the ACS.  See http://www.safety-club.org.au/ for the Safety Critical
systems SIG.  Also the Telecommunications Society of Australia
(http://www.tsa.org.au/) are currently exploring a 'close cooperation'
with the telecommunications SIG of ACS and you can see the argument for
that at http://www.tsa.org.au/public/news_detail.asp?id=42

I am confident that ACS would be very approachable should any of the
AUUG committee want to talk to them over the coming weeks and months.

Just a thought at this juncture in the evolution of AUUG.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP