[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Dec 19 06:03:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 03:08:53PM +1100, James Turnbull wrote:
> David Newall wrote:
> > Please don't squander this opportunity.  AUUG needs help.  The John
> > Lions Award needs help.  Absent Linux Australia, and both of these will
> > disappear into the night.
> Indeed I was speaking to one of the so-called "grey beards" of AUUG
> yesterday and this was the exact point he highlighted.  He indicated
> that whilst changes may happen to AUUG the three key items he would hate
> to see lost if AUUG dissolved were:
> * Support for the Lions Chair;
> * The awarding of the John Lions Award; and
> * The loss of the historical intellectual property of AUUG

Personally, I think Linux Australia would and should be happy to provide
any support that's needed or wanted for any or all of these goals. Last
I saw, in addition to LA, UNSW was being considered as host for all the
Lions Chair stuff, and UNSW and individual members were being considered
as hosts for historical AUUG stuff (and maintaining the auug.org.au domain
and lists).

I've been figuring who does which of those was AUUG's call to make,
but personally I think it'd be great for LA to be involved.

Cheers,
aj