[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 19 00:40:41 UTC 2007

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Andrew Pam wrote:
>
>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>>> Now in thinking a bit more about this, I think that this is a good question
>>> for the candidates in the election of the office bearers and committee to
>>> answer to let people know their opinions and intentions.
>>>
>>> Then the question should be modified to read:
>>>
>>> What should Linux Australia be about, and, whose interests should it serve?
>>>
>> Fixed that for you.
>>
> How?
>
> By counting and publishing the number of particular character, in a
> person's message?

I'll just put on my grammar maven hat here and point out that the key
problem with problem use is in assuming that you use a comma in a
written sentence where you would use a pause in a spoken sentence.  In
written form, the comma is mainly use to mark clauses, to separate
alternatives (such as this), and to separate a subclause from its
parent.  Much of the time these match up with where you put a pause when
you say the sentence, but the reverse mapping is not true.  So in that
sentence, one might say "much of the time (pause) these match up" but no
comma is necessary as that is all part of one clause.

It's a minor peccadillo rather than an actual sin, but it helps to not
overuse the comma.

None of this has anything to do with Linux Australia or its charter but
is intended as a public service announcement to help people further
their abilities in writing :-)  And, of course, because I like being a
pedant sometimes.

Have fun,

Paul