[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: Standards Australia OOXML technical committee meeting

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Tue Dec 18 09:20:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

Glen Turner:
> The BRM won't be considering legal issues in any case.  The ISO CEO
> has determined that no legal or intellectual property issues exist,
> and thus legal or intellectual property objections are already resolved
> and thus are beyond the scope of the BRM -- who's task is to resolve
> *unresolved* issues.

I get the impression that the BRM's task is to resolve *resolvable* issues,
and then only those that can be resolved by a textual edit — what we would
call a patch.

If the chairman has determined that none of the legal issues are amenable to a
minor textual alteration — which sounds reasonable — then there's no point
the BRM talking about them. The BRM can't resolve them, so it would just
waste everyone's time to discuss them.

The same would go for any technical issues that can't be resolved by an edit.

Anything that isn't or can't be resolved by the BRM is then reason for a "no"
vote afterwards.

However, that's just my impression of the process. For authoritative
information, you probably want to consult authoritative sources.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri