[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Tue Dec 18 03:53:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 14:16 +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
> On 12/18/07, James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 12:21 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > It really goes back to the question; "What is Linux Australia really
> > > about, and, whose interests does it serve?".
> >
> > To my mind it comes down to this:
> >
> > Linux Australia is "about" Linux and Free and Open Source Software.
> > Legally it serves the interests of its members, however I also believe
> > that by promoting the above it can serve the interests of the greater
> > community.
>
> Or more generally:
>
> > Linux Australia is "about" <strike>Linux and</strike> Free and Open Source Software.
> > Legally it serves the interests of its members, however I also believe
> > that by promoting the above it can serve the interests of the greater
> > community.

That works as well. The organisation has long moved passed the point
where it focused solely on Linux. We now look to the whole FOSS
eco-system. As a small example of this, I've started listing all FOSS
User groups on our web site, not just restricted to Linux User Groups.
This means that if you have a MySQL User Group, BSD User Group or
OpenSolaris User Group, so long as it's in the FOSS realm I don't see a
problem with having it up there.
--
James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com>