[Linux-aus] HTML5 issues again

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Dec 18 03:35:56 UTC 2007

<quote who="Glen Turner">

> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 05:21 +1030, David Newall wrote:
> > Bret is absolutely correct.  In my view, there is no substantive
> > difference between AUUG and Linux Australia.
>
> This week we have had a vivid illustration of the difference.
>
> Apple -- a UNIX vendor -- and the Linux community fundamentally disagree
> over the desirability of FOSS codecs in the HTML5 standard.

Hold on, that is a misrepresentation of what has happened and what has been
agreed to. Apple do not disagree (with the "Linux community" or even a group
or moniker more relevant to the discussion) about the desirability of Open
Source codecs. The HTML5 draft is very clear. Unfortunately, that definition
excludes Theora/Vorbis for *completely unrelated reasons* to the fact that
they are Open Source. The agreed specification very clearly states a desire
*TO* have a codec that is compatible with an Open Source implementation. So
let's not misrepresent the issue just because we don't like the outcome.

(Apple have also said that Theora is not particularly thrilling technology,
but I don't think anyone would very strongly disagree with that.)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

    "MySQL supporters are like people who believe that the moon landings
    were a hoax. No matter what contrary information they're confronted
         with, they still consider MySQL to be the best." - ttfkam