[Linux-aus] [AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Tue Dec 18 03:08:44 UTC 2007

David Lloyd wrote:
> Realistically, the following two statements *are* true:
>
>   * there are some the AUUG members and/or ex-members and/or participants
>     who simply don't like Linux Australia; and
>
>   * there are some Linux Australia members and/or ex-members and/or
>     participants who don't like the AUUG
>
> I don't think these factions are broadly representative of their
> respective groups, but they are in a position to make an amalgamation
> process much more of a hassle than shutting down The AUUG (2) and
> subsequently squabbling over how the assets are dealt with after a
> dissolution.

I concur with David's statements.  From this it's clear that any
amalgamation will leave some people less than totally happy.  Not
everybody need be totally happy.  For that matter, it's okay if some
people are totally unhappy.  I think all are mature enough to accept
that that's life.  What is important is not a fringe, radical or
otherwise, but the majority.

I'd like to put forward this, too: Should AUUG disolve, its assets are
more likely to go to St. Vincent De Paul, or UNSW, than to Linux
Australia.  If Linux Australia is to get those assets it's probably
going to be by way of a mutually acceptable amalgamation (which is
politic speak for a take-over by Linux Australia.)  If an amalgamation
fails and AUUG dissolves, it's assets would have go to charity, and I
think it would be politically awkward to give the money to Linux Australia.