[Linux-aus] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis and Theora removed from HTML5

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 07:21:24 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 4:37 PM, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:

> Commercial interests do not always coincide with our interests, and we
> should be prepared to accept that without flipping out.

Alternately commercial interests do not always coincide with our
interests and it is useful
to think through ways which we can effect our own interests when
reliance on commercial
perspectives is not congruent with the needs of free and open code.

Multiple perspectives do not always break into binary sortings of
commercial interests and loons.

Sometimes there can be pragmatic purposes for differing with the
interests of commercial vendors.

It is even possible that by maintaining a consistent perspective which
encourages open formats and standards, that the diversity of
commercial interests may benefit in the long run because what might
not seem to be useful for incumbent commercial interests in the short
term may enable more adaptability and different partnerships in the
long term.

Certainly for nations interested in information standards for
governments the access to tools which work with open formats offers
them both the right to choose and adapt, as well as opportunities to
encourage new local industry.
I do not see these aspirations as fringe issues.

ymdv

Janet