[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Committee Elections - Nominations Are Now Open

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sun Dec 16 13:25:32 UTC 2007

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 06:23:51PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> If questions are encouraged (which hasn't been the case in the past),

    "Now is your chance to figure out who you want to lead LA into the new
    year. Have a look at the election page, read the spiels, and question
    those of us who have been nominated."

 -- http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2007-January/014766.html

    "so if you're thinking of running but you've got any questions on what
    you're committing to, joining the discussion on linux-aus would be a
    great idea!"

 -- http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2005-December/012672.html

    "There isn't much time left to nominate, and there aren't many
    people who have accepted their nominations, so get in fast! :) Also
    feel free to start posting questions to the candidates if you have
    any. Posting to candidates and cc-ing linux-aus is preferable."

 -- http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2005-January/011247.html

If folks would rather email someone and get them to pass on their
questions to any candidates rather than ask them directly I don't see a
problem with that, but asking on linux-aus directly has always been fine
too (and indeed encouraged), and I don't see that changing, personally.

Over the past few years LA's tried to encourage ideas to be posted
to the linux-aus list for open discussion before committing to them
(particularly with grants, but also more general issues about what LA
should be doing [0]). That's good for transparency, good for letting
members be involved, and good for getting as much information as possible
to make good decisions. It can be chaotic for sure, but I suspect it's
the sort of chaos folks who want to get more involved in the Australian
Linux community can not just cope with, but tend to enjoy.

If the GNOME Foundation does things differently, well, different
strokes...

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2007-May/015532.html