[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Committee Elections - Nominations Are Now Open

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Fri Dec 14 08:06:03 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 18:15 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="James Purser">
>
> One of the challenges of an end-to-end web-based nomination and voting tool
> is that it tends to result in very little discussion about candidates. It
> would be really cool for LA members if:
>
>  1) Nomination statements were sent to the mailing list when entered on the
>     site.

I believe memberdb might have this functionality already, but I'm not
sure, you'd have to speak to Stewart "Patches Welcome" Smith.

>  2) The returning officer or membership committee, whichever exists, could
>     collate questions from members and put them to the candidates (so that
>     candidates are not forced to follow numerous Q&A threads on the list).

Up until now we really haven't had a "Debate" style system because we
generally haven't had that many people nominate and accept. That being
said I think it would be great. Anything that gets people involved in
the selection/election process whether as candidates or as question
asking type people has got to be encouraged.

Keeping that in mind, here's the first round of nominations (ordinary
committee members only so far):

Ordinary Committee Members
      * James Turnbull (james at lovedthanlost.net) was nominated by:
              * Stephen Walsh (steve at nerdvana.org.au)
                I think James would be a perfect addition to the LA
                Committee, and I'd hate to see the skills he's gained
                corralling Mini--CoNf organizers go to waste after LCA
              * Peter Lieverdink (me at cafuego.net)
                Having worked with James on LCA for some months now, I
                think he would make a good and valuable addition to the
                LA CTTE. He is a do-er and level headed, just what we
                need.
      * Stephen Walsh (steve at nerdvana.org.au) was nominated by:
              * Paul Wayper (paulway at mabula.net)
                Steve is one of the hardest-working people I know and is
                dedicated to promoting Linux Australia and FOSS.
      * Marco Ostini (m.ostini at uq.edu.au) was nominated by:
              * Clinton Roy (clinton.roy at gmail.com)
                Marco is passionate supporter of OSS and is full of
                enthusiasm.

So if you think you agree with one of the above nominations, or you
think you know of someone better, then head along to
http://linux.org.au/membership , login, and nominate away.
--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member