[Linux-aus] Direct line to the PM

Mike Lampard mike at mtgambier.net
Thu Dec 6 07:16:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 04:21:54 pm Pia Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <quote who="Paul Coldrey">
>
> > Anyone who wants to send a message "to the Prime Minister" about this
> > topic espousing the greatness of FOSS can head to:
> >
> >     http://www.pm.gov.au/contact/index.cfm?p=3
>
> A great notion, but anyone embarking on this, please make sure your
> messages are:
>
>  1) positive!!!
>  2) informative rather than ranty
>  3) collaborative rather than accusing
>  4) interesting - keep it to the point and make it clear _why_ your message
>     is interesting rather than "because it's FOSS"

Might I also add to this list?
5) keep acronyms to the absolute minimum (ie, none)

Simply because we understand what "FOSS" stands for, doesn't necessarily mean
the emails' recipient does.  We need to reduce the perceived divide between
we 'geeks' and the masses, and throwing acronyms around only increases it.
We can hardly expound the virtues of Free and Opensource Software when no-one
else knows what we're talking about :)

just my 2cents..

> Good luck to anyone doing this. Feel free to bounce messages off me if you
> want help :) I'm also doing my part working through my contacts to help get
> FOSS on the agenda, and considering the new education revolution, I think
> there may be a good chance.

Cheers
Mike