[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Mon Dec 3 22:34:49 UTC 2007

Jeff et al,

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Paul Coldrey">
>
>> Phil Rhoades wrote:
>>> Since they are supposed to be new computers, we should be pushing a
>>> Linux OS as well . .
>>>
>> If the machines don't need Windows then that should save some money and
>> allow for less budget or more PCs,.. right? Surely that is a simple
>> message that would make sense to politicians.
>
> They won't save much on machines without Windows. Either the machines will
> already have Windows and/or mass education licenses will make it irrelevant
> anyway. The pitch would need to be about "value" not "cheap".

Indeed - it may be easier to introduce people in education (students,
teachers, lecturers and such) to open source applications that provide
value rather than to an operating system.

Specifically, an operating system is rather useless without any
applications for most end users. Consequently, replacing Windows and its
host of applications (Microsoft Office, Matlab, Photoshop) with
something people don't know how to use is actually a step backwards.

So, the open source CD may be a good way to go as well with real support
by web-sites and by professionals.

DSL

(1) Of course if they're computer science people or the field of study
     is the operating system, then of course the OS is important; my
     point is that most people don't use their computer because of the OS