[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Tim Connors tconnors+la at astro.swin.edu.au
Tue Apr 24 10:29:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Andrew Donnellan wrote:

> On 4/24/07, Paul Wayper <paul.wayper at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Surely your threading email client is picking up the References: key in
> > the header of the email?  That's completely independent of the subject
> > line.  Thunderbird has certainly had no problem threading this
> > conversation for me...  What client are you using?
>
> Mhm, didn't know about the references header. As for the client, I'm
> using Gmail (yes, I know Google is evil and I should be using
> Thunderbird and so on, but I really need decent webmail.)
>
> However, some of the emails have lacked the reply header ("On
> xx/xx/xx, someone wrote:"), others have had it mangled by spam
> filters, e.g.:
>    On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 05:57 +0000, +linuxaus+tracyanne
>    +5aae479bf3.linux-aus-request#lists.linux.org.au at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> and yes the subject line has been changed sometimes: the original
> message was a reply to the Second Life email. That messes up Gmail's
> threading.

It doesn't help that whatever her client is (evolution, according to her
headers -- I wasn't aware it could be broken so badly?) appears to
completely fill in the incorrect information for both the references and
In-reply-to headers.  For instance, her email which sparked off this
subthread, message id
1177330244.20009.82.camel at centoris.barlow.local
claims to be in reply to:
mailman.2205.1177307843.29781.linux-aus at lists.linux.org.au
when in reality, it's in reply to
1007a32a0704230238l1c12963fj6287ec57530eb146 at mail.gmail.com

I really wish it were illegal with the fine of hanging, if people didn't
obey the accepted standards.  Mmmm, a world without google or microsoft :)

> Now I shall write a feedback report for Google...

Ha!  Good luck!  It's an oft complained about "feature" of Google's
complete inability to follow the standards.  You should see badly they've
damaged their usenet interface.  AOL had nothing on the new google.

--
Tim Connors