[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1501 lists.linux.org.au)

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Mon Apr 23 04:09:30 UTC 2007

> We're doing quite well on the desktop at the moment.

Actually we're not. Linux has at best 5% of the market - That's my probably
rather optimistic assesment based on the number people I've set up as Linux
users, who are unlikely to ever make their presence known, multiplied by the
official industry stats. I suspect the real market is actually smaller than 5%.

> Sure, I wouldn't put it
> all down to word of mouth, but if you think Linux is not succeeding, you are
> not paying attention. It *IS* slow going. It *IS* regional. You *WILL* have
> to be patient. We're *NOT* going to "win" overnight.

No we won't win overnight, and we won't if we keep on doing what we've been doing.

We need to do something that a break out something big to get the wheels rolling, we
can't afford to sit back and wait for DELL or some other 'savipour to come along, we
have to make the market.

This project that Ken and Bob are trying to make happen is one such break out type
action. This will put Linux in front of a lot of eyeballs, yes primarily in the US.

Regards

Tracyanne