[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Wed Apr 18 08:11:19 UTC 2007

I've just been reading through the responses to my post, and there were some really good ideas
for one off spots for getting Linux in front of the cameras and the news media.

The Tux500 project is but one part of an ongoing effort by Ken Stark to market Linux. There are
many other of those ways in which this can be done. The point is that the only bad publicity is an obituary.

If anyone wants to put together a project  based on any of the ideas such as have been floated in the replys to
my post, I will most certainly contribute, and do anything I can to help.

The thing about the Indy project is that while $350,000.00 sounds like a lot of money (well yeah it is), it's not an
impossible amount - if 1% of Linux users world wide were to donate $1.00 the figure would be met and exceeded. On
the other hand even if the $350,000 is never reached, if we can get this out to the mainstream media, the very fact that
it gets reported is a huge booste to getting Linux into the public consciousness. That is the biggest effect of this.

If Ken and co do manage to reach the goal of sponsoring a Team Linux car there is a hige amount of advertising, far
greater in value than the $350,000 that this will cost. It's been estimated that sponsporing 1 Indy 500 is worth at
least $500,000 in direct advertising.

Regards

Tracyanne