[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Grant Application: OLS speaker travel

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu.au
Mon Apr 2 03:45:00 UTC 2007

Whilst I can hear what you're saying, I don't think that's a good use of
LA funds. The benefit is too limited and dispersed; if our goal was to
raise the profile of Linux activity in Australia with overseas
audiences, we should formulate projects along those lines and strategise
the best way to achieve it. I'm sure we could come up with a range of
effective approaches that didn't require the same level of funding.

For my part, I would like to see more grant proposals along the lines of
"if you give me XXX, along with my investment of YYY, I can add new
these new features to project ZZZ"

There are a whole range of projects that I'd be really happy to see us
investing in, to fix bugs, improve user experience/design, improve
documentation, implement new features, etc. Alternatively, we could be
promoting the Linux experience (user, server, corporate, etc.) with
specific marketing campaigns, case studies, research, etc. which would
benefit both Linux usage in Australia and overseas (eg. like the Firefox
videos).

And I think that either of these would also achieve the aim of raising
the profile of Linux activity in Australia (eg. "These patches/bugs were
sponsored in part by Linux Australia, see (url)"). Or "This promotion
material was supported with a grant from Linux Australia, see (url)".

re,