[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Fri Sep 29 17:49:02 UTC 2006

Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Hi Brenda,
>
> At 2006/9/29 13:51+1000  Brenda Aynsley writes:
>> At least that's in the future and I am not aware of other details at
>> this time.  The role being mooted for ACS in this, again I dont know, my
>> own view and the last time 'mandatory registration' was discussed at the
>> governing body of the ACS it was consistent with my earlier email, that
>> is, Registration Boards and professional societies are rarely one and
>> the same thing and ought to be separate.
>
> Would it be possible for you to get/find more detailed information
> about ACS's proposals and send it to linux-aux?

The proposals came out of a queensland event in august initiated by the
ACS in conjunction with the queensland government and ICT industry.  It
was much larger than *just* acs.  It was very open and well attended by
ICT companies and government officials, it wasn't a restricted forum, it
wasnt just acs members for example.

the press release on the outcomes is at
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=notice&temID=noticedetails&notID=673
There are 16 statements there and I will try to organise for the papers
to be made available electronically, they arent at present.  Mark's
comments about the full papers might have led the audience to think they
could get copies from the web.

The statements are setting directions which were distilled in the
process taken in Queensland.  It is aimed at the Government primarily.

*Mark in the interview with James Purser quite clearly says a
registration body would not be ACS but should include ACS along with
other groups such as AIIA*

Can I add that there is more to the report than 'mandatory registration'
and as soon as I can get the pdf, which I've just been told is 6mb
(sorry) on the web you can see for yourselves and start a discussion
based on the facts.

A couple of other comments on the interview:

James I think in the interview wrongly puts the second to last question
to Mark which james called migration but it was about skills assessment
and its not the same thing.  Why?

The role that acs plays in migration is to assess, not certify, the
qualifications of overseas people and offer an opinion on whether the
qualifications of a person gained overseas are sufficiently analogous to
those obtained in Australia in the computing field.  One of the litmus
tests in that process is to ask the question would the person qualify
for ACS membership? but the process itself does not lead to ACS
Membership and an overseas person can separately seek admission to the ACS.

ACS does *not* approve anyone for admission to Australia, they assess
qualifications on behalf of DIMA who make the decision about migration
and I'm sure that decision is based on more than just their
qualification equivalency.

cheers
brenda
ps avi your account of your experience is flawed in terms of the
explanation above, but it does show how careless ACS is in communicating
with the people it interacts with.  I will pass this feedback on to them
with your permission.

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/

The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. Visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm to see how.

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107
Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/