[Linux-aus] ACS relevance

Benno benjl at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Sep 29 13:36:01 UTC 2006

On Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 11:44:39 +0700, Novensiles divi Flamen wrote:
> Would most employers
>regard this as something necessary for me to be taken seriously?

As an employer, or at least someone who has to try and hire people,
absolutely not essential. It is so hard to get good people at all,
I couldn't care less what associations they belong to.

*but*, I do care about people's experience, skill set, people
skills, etc. and being part of an organisation can help you
with that.

If you care about influencing govt. policy, being part of the community,
etc. being part of an organisation can help you with.

Of course that doesn't have to mean the ACS. It could be IEEE, ACM
or, even, LA.

Benno