[Linux-aus] ACS relevance

Novensiles divi Flamen noven at sincorp.org
Fri Sep 29 13:13:02 UTC 2006

I've heard some pretty interesting comments about the ACS in the recent thread
about the Mandatory Registration  proposal. That issue aside, I have a total
newbie question to ask regarding the relevance of the ACS.

I only graduated 18 months ago, before then I felt {despite my experience} I
had no right to call myself a 'professional'. Once I graduated I thought that
joining the ACS and subscribing to a set of professional ethics was the next
logical {even essential} step. As the first thing I did was move to the
desert and work in community development that registration never happened.
But my current overseas project has shown me that IT is what I want to be
doing full time and when I return to the country I will pick up my career.
Joining the ACS and subscribing to those professional ethics is planned to
happen before I even start sending out resumes. Some of the comments on this
mailing list have thrown doubt on how relevant such membership may actually
be in practice. So my question is how relevant is it? Would most employers
regard this as something necessary for me to be taken seriously? Or can
people call themselves 'professionals' without subscribing to a Code of
Ethics?

- Noven