[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 06:53:02 UTC 2006

This central control was described as something discovered by
government to reduce insurance (on the Picchi Ricchi railway?)
premiums by mandating accredited suppliers.

Accreditation by a national body does not in my mind prove an
assurance of quality of work. Work can be of any quality once the
person has paid up in the academic and membership sense.

To my mind the system has nothing to offer which can not be provided
by the excellent peer review available through the FOSS community and
access to transparent technologies using open source.  It offers
exclusion of volunteers and new entrants to the sector in a context
where these roles are a part of the overall capacity building enabled
by NGO sector.

It is a way to reposition proprietary solutions so that there is some
aspect of trust that can be pointed to in a context where technologies
will be attended by DRM and TPM restrictions which distance the
service purchaser from access to their acquisition.

Disappointed to say the least.

Janet