[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 06:44:03 UTC 2006

I went to a meeting in SA yesterday about a proposed national Natioal
Not for Profit ICT Coalition. Where ACS and CISA were proposing to
have a system whereby
ACS or a central group provided Accreditation to IT folk who want to
access the not for profit sector to provide IT services.

The model was proposed to be a way to provide trusted IT services.
It was proposed that this could be expanded to cover financial services etc.

The model is proposed to have a group which provides accreditation
and a second group to broker access to the ngo sector.

ACS looked to be a player for the first group and the interview and this
http://www.acs.org.au/news/110806.htm
lead me to think that this is an overall goal of ACS for IT.

CISA look to be aiming for the broker role at least for SA and NGO sector.

The models of similar structures included:
http://www.icthub.org.uk
http://www.nten.org
http://compumentor.org
http://techsoup.org
http://sangonet.org.za
http://www.npower.org/about/index.htm

Which uniformly are systems whereby there is a central control over
who is trusted
and there is only very little, and commonly innacurate information
available through these portals on FOSS technologies and solutions
which offer very real synergies with the not for profit sector.

Given that my husband who has a degree was refused membership to ACS
because they didnt like the stripe of his degree I have concerns that
the choices made by ACS as a broker of IT trusted providers will
besimilary partisan.

Janet