[Linux-aus] Linux Australia member services

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.net
Tue Sep 26 19:03:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 18:13 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 09:44 +1000, Peter Miller wrote:
> > Does Linux Australia provide member services?
> >
> > In the maelstrom around the AUUG discussions, it was mentioned that
> > Linux Australia owns the opensource.org.au domain.
> >
> > Is it possible for me to obtain
> > - a pmiller at opensource.org.au email address?
> > - a miller.opensource.org.au domain delegation for my own use?
> >
> > These are services for which I would happily pay real money.  Basically,
> > this is in large part the value I see in my AUUG membership fees.
> >

> Okay lets run with this. If LA was to provide services to members in
> return for fees (and there is nothing, not even a suggestion of a hint
> of a clue that we are going to do this), what would the members see as
> something that LA could do for them?
>
> As I have already stated this is a run up the flagpole exercise, off my
> own bat without any input from the ctte or anyone else. I'm on my own
> here :)

Currently as a student, any fees to be part of a LA would be a major
disincentive.

However, once I start working it would be quite a different story. The
money could also be used to run even more interesting LA programs, more
grants, etc. Not being an organiser, I do not know the state of affairs
in terms of finance, would having more money do anything?

It would also add a little degree of "legitimacy" to organisation. In
many peoples eyes having to spend money to join an organisation makes
the difference between being a hobby and being professional. (But that
is also a stupid argument against Open Source software.)

Just some thoughts.

Tim Ansell