[Linux-aus] Computer Programming Courses in Adelaide?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Sep 25 01:53:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Tim Ansell wrote:

> Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:33:12 +0930
> From: Tim Ansell <mithro at mithis.net>
> To: linux-aus at linux.org.au
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Computer Programming Courses in Adelaide?
>
> Hello,
>
> My girlfriend is interested in gaining some basic computer programming
> skills over the summer break.
>
> However, I'm having trouble finding courses. I've tried Adelaide
> University and the WEA however haven't found anything suitable yet. I
> can't seem to get the TAFE site to give me any information either.
>
> We would prefer an open source language like Python or PHP. Java would
> be a last choice.
>
> Can anyone recommend anything?
>
> It may be a good idea to build up a list of such choices somewhere.
> Seems like a good thing Linux-AU could maintain.
>
> Thanks for your time and help.
>
> Tim Ansell

Have you looked at (or considered)
http://oreilly.useractive.com/courses/opensource.php3 ?

I do not know how much TAFE courses cost, for comparison,and I do not
know how good the units are for the certificate, but it may be worth
considering.

Is she seeking certification, or just the skills? If it is just the
skills, what about doing it from books, like:
http://www.samspublishing.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0672327252&rl=1
http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/0340905565/Teach_Yourself_PHP_with_MySQL.htm
http://www.booksmatter.com/b0071461515.htm
or the Visual QuickStart Guides