[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Fri Sep 22 07:24:02 UTC 2006

James Polley wrote:

> I'm less familiar with ACS (I'm not a member of ACS, as I am of SAGE-AU),
> but my impression is that they target developers and "engineers". Again,
> there would be a lot of overlap in terms of people, but ACS' goals and
> objectives are wildly divergent from organisations like LA. I'm not saying
> they're at all incompatible - just very different.

wildly divergent eh?

Here is the mission and the objects of the ACS just for the record :)

Mission
To advance professional excellence in information technology.

Principal Object
To promote the development of Australian information and communications
technology resources.

Secondary Objects
     * To advance professional excellence in information and
communications technology.
     * To further the study, science and application of information and
communications technology.
     * To promote, develop and monitor competence in the practice of
information and communications technology by persons and organizations.
     * To define and promote the maintenance of standards of knowledge
of information and communications technology for members.
     * To promote the formulation of effective policies on information
and communications technology and related matters.
     * To extend the knowledge and understanding of information and
communications technology in the community.
     * To maintain and promote the observance of a code of ethics for
members of the Society.

and for Linux Australia

Vision

"To facilitate enthusiasms within the Linux Community to flourish"
Linux Australia exists to serve and promote the community. The
organisation aims to do this best by taking enthusiasms within the
community, such as FOSS issues, projects, education, advocacy just to
name a few, and help them flourish, to succeed. The lifeblood of this
organisation is the people in the community, and Linux Australia strives
to be both relevant and useful to the community.

Missions

"Provide facilities to support and stimulate community interest and
participation"
Linux Australia already provides support in the way of services such as
mailing lists, web hosting, a job site, usergroups contacts and a web
site full of information. Linux Australia stimulates community interest
and participation though incentive schemes and by acting as a voice for
the community.

"To facilitate individual enthusiasms to flourish"
Linux Australia helps individuals to realise their potential and
supports them in events and schemes to support and help the Australian
Linux community.

I dont see us that different in those aspects that intersect in particular:

To promote the development of Australian information and communications
technology resources.

and

    * To promote the formulation of effective policies on information
and communications technology and related matters.
     * To extend the knowledge and understanding of information and
communications technology in the community.

and the LA charter.

ACS has a somewhat broader mandate is all.

As far as sage-au is concerned their mantra is:

SAGE-AU was formed to advance the profession of System Administration by
raising awareness of the need for System Administrators, and educating
System Administrators in technical as well as professional issues. We
aim to promote interaction between professional System Administrators
within Australia as well as internationally, and regularly give
recognition to high achievers amongst our members.

so there isnt a lot of difference overall between acs and sage-au, its
just the broadness of the membership skill set which is at odds.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/

The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. Visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm to see how.

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107
Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/