[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

James Polley linuxaus at zhasper.com
Tue Sep 19 12:14:02 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
> > - I don't believe that Australia is big enough for two organizations
> >   which cover so much common ground.
>
> Aren't there a lot more than two at the moment though? I can think of
> AUUG, LA, SAGE-AU, ACS off the top of my head.

I don't think there's all that much overlap between ACS/SAGE-AU and bodies
like LA and AUUG.

ACS and SAGE-AU target specific kinds of professionals. SAGE-AU specifically
targets sysadmins, but they target sysadmins of all platforms - Linux,
Solaris, and Windows are all well-represented on the mailing lists, but
other commercial unices get a look-in as well (and even obsolete things like
Novell get discussed from time to time). There's also a lot of discussion
about the processes sysadmins have to work within and about the role of
sysadmins within an organisation.

True, a lot of SAGE-AU people tend to favor FLOSS - even those who primarily
use Windows at work seem to tinker with FLOSS a lot on the side. However,
SAGE-AU itself is completely neutral on the issue of platforms: SAGE-AU
exists to help sysadmins admin whatever syses get thrown their way.

I'm less familiar with ACS (I'm not a member of ACS, as I am of SAGE-AU),
but my impression is that they target developers and "engineers". Again,
there would be a lot of overlap in terms of people, but ACS' goals and
objectives are wildly divergent from organisations like LA. I'm not saying
they're at all incompatible - just very different.

--
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself -
Zhasper, 2004