[Linux-aus] linux.org.au / linux.conf.au

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Tue Sep 19 09:32:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

Like many I've been following this discussion with considerable interest.

Personally, I am not in favour of a name change of either linux.conf.au or Linux Australia.  While the names may, in the minds of some imperfectly represent the nature of the event or organisation, I think they are most certainly close enough.

The Conference has an enviable reputation world wide and is regularly mentioned in the same breath as Ottawa Linux Symposium or Linuxtag (mentioned in a positive way!) At least in my experience any of the people I've spoken to seem to be well aware that it is about more than just Linux.  I seem to recall we even had a FreeBSD guy talking about beer brewing and a couple of ham radio guys talking about radios at various points :)

The conference stands on it's merits and will grow through the good efforts of those organising and presenting, changing the name will only attempt to fix something that ain't broken.

For Linux Australia, as has been opined by others, I think having an arrangement more along the lines of an umbrella organisation role is the way to go.  If we try and broaden the agenda of a single organisation we run the risk of diluting the volunteer base by taking on too much - potentially ending up in a situation of doing more things more poorly.

By having separate organisations there is a more natural capacity for some areas to grow (or wane) without affecting the whole.  Surely this is good insurance.

Again, I am speaking for myself only, but I think a change to the name of either would be of little benefit and more likely harmful.

In closing, beyond the points above, we should _not_ underestimate the importance of branding.

Cheers,
Hugh