[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sun Sep 17 08:13:05 UTC 2006

<quote who="Silvia Pfeiffer">

> That's not quite true. If you rename it to include any open source
> development, then all of a sudden people who develop open source software
> for non-Linux *purely* - say, e.g. a open source backup solution for
> Windows XP, or an open source QuickTime component for windows media for
> the Mac, would also be included. This means, you will not only include
> people who already are part of LA or LCA (even though they don't do Linux,
> but e.g. Apache or Gnome or Annodex or you name it), but you will include
> others as well, whom you might not necessarily want to attract.

If someone put in a proposal about "Free Media on Proprietary Platforms", it
would be judged on its merits the same way that other proposals are (which
may or may not have cursory relevance to "Linux"). Seems entirely relevant
to me (and actually quite cool). There are lots of other examples you could
bring up that are shadier or closer to some kind of scary, controversial
line... Of course, the decision is going to be up to the paper review group.

> But there is also a problem about naming. This whole discussion depends on
> what the name of the new organisation will be. Without actually knowing
> what the next thing is, you can only expect criticism for moving away from
> the old and working one. I don't think Phoenix or Glasnost (the latter
> because of political implications) are the right ways to go. You/we have
> to come up with something better, that really implies what you want to
> express.

Proposals for renaming Linux Australia were clear. Proposals for renaming
linux.conf.au suggested going to the community to put their combined heads
together to come up with an awesome name.

- Jeff

--
Ohio LinuxFest 2006: Columbus OH, USA              http://www.ohiolinux.org/

       "So I'll have to talk about what I know instead. If you are so
     inclined, you may infer that I am totally oblivious to anything I
                   don't talk about today." - Larry Wall