[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Thu Sep 14 13:45:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 13:38 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Greg Lehey has proposed the dissolution of AUUG:
>
>   http://www.auug.org.au/pipermail/auug-announce/2006/000241.html
>
> I've written a response to his proposal, and listed a number of (potentially
> controversial) follow-up proposals for Linux Australia in my blog:
>
>   http://perkypants.org/blog/2006/09/14/goodbye-auug-hello-phoenix/
>
> I think we have an awesome opportunity here. If it is sufficiently difficult
> for the membership and current committee to decide, I will happily run for a
> position on the Linux Australia committee to pursue these ideas.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff

Firstly I think its now obvious that as an org, we have grown to a point
where we can safely say that we are not specifically linux focused any
more.

We have members and contributors from all of the major FOSS OS's, from
Linux through the BSD's to Open Solaris and beyond. Not only that, but
many of our members utilise Free and Open Source Software on non-free
platforms including Windows and Mac OSX, so it is probably time to have
another look at our name and focus.

I really only have two concerns, firstly I don't want to lose too much
of the good will thats been built up by previous committees and
linux.conf.au organisers for the LA and linux.conf.au names. Secondly,
do we just change the name or is this to be part of a greater
re-organisation and restructuring?

Signing as just average user.
--
James Purser
Producer/Presenter - Open Source On The Air