[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Elspeth Thorne elspeth at thorne.id.au
Wed Sep 13 13:19:01 UTC 2006

Jonathan Oxer wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 00:23 +1000, Pia Waugh wrote:
>

>>I would however like to see a broader benefit to our community out of
>>a grant to support it. For instance, most grants have some knock on benefit
>>to our broader community, be it access to slides, video, documentation, code
>>or whatever.
>>

>That's a very good point. The first thing that I thought when I saw the
>program on the website is that there has obviously been a lot of work
>put into the structure and content of the camp: I hadn't heard of it
>until this grant request, but it's obviously something that has been
>developed and refined over a number of years.

I think this year is the 11th year we've been running, so it's been
quite a long time in development. We've ironed a lot of the wrinkles
out, but there are always new ones cropping up.

>What about providing some of the camp material itself? There are
>probably other groups that would be interested in running IT camps and
>not having to reinvent the wheel could make it much easier for them. Is
>there anything LA could do to help make some of the camp material
>available for others to use? Like create an "IT Camp Resource Kit" based
>on Ubertweak?
>
>Cheers   :-)

We've been considering putting together a 'How To Run A Computer Camp'
kit for some time now, as we have had intermittent interest from other
states (Tasmania and New South Wales at one stage, I believe). We're
also considering branching out into doing a primary school camp
(probably year 5-7) in the future.

I personally would like to see such a kit happen - I believe it could be
a very valuable tool. We are slowly working towards such a thing for our
own internal use, and some of our innovations are apparently now
widespread within Scripture Union. There is much more to running a camp
like this than simply the technical material, although that does take up
the bulk of the time before camp, and of course, adequate technical
expertise does help.

If LA would be willing to assist us in preparing such a kit, I feel that
it would be welcome in the camp community - although of course I would
have to discuss it with the leaders before going ahead with such a project.

Regards,

Elspeth Thorne.