[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Andrew Pam xanni at glasswings.com.au
Wed Sep 13 07:35:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 07:28 +1000, Elspeth Thorne wrote:
> True, our parent organisation is a not-for-profit Christian
> organisation, and we have to abide by their rules, specifically with
> regards to training of leaders and the like.
>
> On the other hand, many of the kids who come along are *not* christian,
> have no desire to be christian, and that's just fine. We are not
> evangelistic; we encourage discussion, yes, but we're not out to stomp
> on anyone's personal beliefs. There are quite a few aethists and usually
> a pagan or two along to camp, some of which come back in following years
> for the computing material. I personally find the view of camp as a
> vehicle to promote Christianity repungant. Reconnecting exisiting
> Christians with their local communities, yes; new Christians? Not so
> much. I do not think that a decision on religion should be made in an
> artificial environment, particulary not in such a short-lived
> environment, and Scripture Union policy is to not encourage such
> committments.

Thank you for your clarification.  I also oppose Linux Australia funding
any organisation that actively seeks to convert people to any political
or religious belief.  However I support providing funds specifically for
the promotion of Linux by any organisation regardless of political or
religious affiliation.  Therefore I would support funding in this case
where suitable assurances have been given.

Regards,
	Andrew
--
mailto:xanni at xanadu.net                         Andrew Pam