[Linux-aus] A speech by AG Ruddock "No Fair Use For You!"

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Mon Sep 4 18:20:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:40 +1000, Nathan Bailey wrote:
> How do you know about "no rewind"? (or is this a reference to not
> being able to watch a taped show twice?)

That is essentially what they have been talking about. In essence you
would be able to record a programme off Free To Air, and then legally
you could only watch it once - without rewinding to see bits again.

Heres a good summary:

http://www.apcstart.com/site/pdockrill/2006/05/67/australian-govt-enacts-bizarre-copyright-law

> I'd like to know what the *specific* things we expect this would mean
> are so I can write about it.
>
> eg. presumably by excluding Fair Use, the Attorney General is
> implicitly saying that it would likely be illegal to make (or have?)
> a viewer that allowed you to fast forward "compulsory" bits (eg. the
> trailers and warnings at the start).
>
> What other "normal" / "useful" things would one not be able to do?

This is where the devil is going to be in the detail. We haven't seen
the final draft as yet, but IMHO I don't think we are going to get what
we are asking for.

--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member