[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Neill Cox neill at ace-hosting.com.au
Fri Sep 15 15:41:01 UTC 2006

Add me to the people keen to keep the Linux in Linux Australia and LCA.

I also think that Linux serves nicely as a focus for our community, and I
think is much better known than Open Source in the general community.  I
don't think we met anybody at our Software Freedom Day pre-event that had
heard of Open Source but not Linux, but there were a number of people I
spoke to who seemed surprised that there was Free/Open Source Software for
Windows (although they had usually heard of Firefox). I know this is
anecdotal, but has anyone done actual research on the brand recognition
involved in this debate?

If we're going to change from "Linux" I'd rather we at least keep the
focus on Free Software.  I'm not particularly interested in Open Source,
because Open Source always seems to me to be more about engineering than
society or community.  Free Software, while having the whole beer vs
speech problem, does have clearer links to freedom.

So if we were to change our name I'd prefer something like Free Software
Australia rather than Open Source Community Australia (cute as OSCA is as
an acronym).

I'm trying to keep an open mind in this though, and I understand we don't
want to exclude people who share our ideals, but even Microsoft(*) claim
to support Open Source.

Cheers,
Neill

* Not bashing Microsoft, they help to feed and clothe my children, but I
don't think that Microsoft's goals and mine are identical.