[Linux-aus] Firefox vs IceWeasel

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Mon Oct 23 07:44:02 UTC 2006

At 2006/10/20 20:35+1000  Janet Hawtin writes:
> IMHO we need to have a different kind of trademark which can be used
> when a product is based on a brand but which may have been
> redistributed by another group, whether that be a distribution or a
> school production. Currently trademarks are based on control of
> distribution and our business model is based on community
> distribution.

Hrm - I wonder if the Mozilla foundation would really have a problem
with IceWeasel being distributed with a a tag line saying it was based
on Firefox?

Putting aside the specific criteria that Mozilla have used to specify
when their browser may still be called Firefox, I don't think the
ability to specify such a criteria is necessarily bad. After all I'd
guess that the Debian community would be quite put out if someone
modified their distribution, introduced a bunch of bugs and still
called it Debian, rather than explaining it was a fork.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org