[Linux-aus] Why Linux is not ready for business

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Wed Oct 18 11:01:05 UTC 2006

Kelly Daly wrote:
> This looks (to me) like an opportunity for Linux Australia to get
> involved...
>
> Companies don't know where to find good linux techs, and maybe some good
> linux techs don't know where to find companies that want them (because all
> these companies are doing the MS thang for lack of good linux techs).
>
> Maybe we need to look at some kind of skills and availability database.
> Companies can seek information from Linux Australia about these people, and
> its up to the linux techs to either register or seek information about what
> companies are looking for which skills...

er the technology is simple enough as you say kelly, however how do you
get 'employing' companies to even consider FOSS let alone know where to
register their interest.  That's the rub and the nub of the problem.
It's like booking a band for a gig, then issuing an invitation into the
ether to come to the gig and guess what .... no one turns up cos they
aint in the ether, they are where they are.

You'd be looking at championing the cause of FOSS with companies who
wouldnt think about them or if they did, had discounted the thought cos
of the reasons already mentioned.

I think raising the profile of both Linux Australia AND Open Source
Industry Australia would be something that is good for all of us in the
FOSS arena.  Why?  Because it would give businesses and those out there
championing the cause a resource to refer to in making the case for the
widespread adoption of FOSS.

... and then we could use the technology and application to list buyers
and sellers :)

 > Or we can just go out and convince a recruitment agency to start a
 > FOSS section within their industry and promote linux hires more
 > thoroughly.

There's a new recruitment company started in Adelaide last week with a
lot of expertise in the ICT industry, though I would hazard a guess not
much in FOSS, which might be worth looking at approaching.  I'd be happy
to work with Linux Australia committee in that if you think it worthwhile.

cheers
brenda

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/

The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. Visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm to see how.

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107
Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/