[Linux-aus] Why Linux is not ready for business

Kelly Daly kelly at somewoman.com
Wed Oct 18 10:34:02 UTC 2006

This looks (to me) like an opportunity for Linux Australia to get
involved...

Companies don't know where to find good linux techs, and maybe some good
linux techs don't know where to find companies that want them (because all
these companies are doing the MS thang for lack of good linux techs).

Maybe we need to look at some kind of skills and availability database.
Companies can seek information from Linux Australia about these people, and
its up to the linux techs to either register or seek information about what
companies are looking for which skills...

Its almost a standard university assignment - the techies register their
skills, location, where they would be willing to be located, etc etc etc.
The employers register the available jobs and what skills are required.
Those with the right skills (or a decent subset thereof) get emailed the job
description and can apply OR the employer gets given a list of names and
contact details for people who may possibly meet the criteria (the latter
could be dodgey and a possible breach of privacy - ie, the employee who is
registered on this database and their own employer sees them there, assumes
they are looking for work elsewhere and sacks them).

Or we can just go out and convince a recruitment agency to start a FOSS
section within their industry and promote linux hires more thoroughly.

---

I guess i'm seeing more a call for "what can we do about it" rather than
lists of reasons for it (albeit useful to have those reasons in order to
address them).

Any other ideas?

Kelly

kelly at somewoman.com