[Linux-aus] Why Linux is not ready for business

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Sun Oct 15 14:28:04 UTC 2006

Well,

> "I can't find/afford support for Linux. I can
> pick up a windows tech on any street corner but a decent Linux tech is
> almost impossible to find and they costs a fortune."

1. Server System Administration

There are less Linux administrators around and market forces generally
keep a good administrator's contract rates on the higher side of average
rates.

2. General Desktop Support

I know that a lot of "Windows" support is given by the person in the
office who happens to know a little bit more than anyone else. They're
generally paid anyway so the advice is "kind of" free.

Many business offices don't have someone who is able to answer desktop
Linux questions.

---

What you're seeing, I think, is Adam Smith's invisible hand guiding the
capitalist market along. Prices for Linux admins who are good are high,
which has the effect of making other choices (eg. Windows) more
economically attractive if you use 'support cost' as the only metric.

They're high because a Linux Admin faced with a choice of $100 versus
$35 per higher may be more likely to choose $100 disregarding other factors.

I think what you're describing is a good thing. Being "too expensive"
and "not being able to be found" implies:

1. There IS a price that these people would be willing to pay
2. They implicitly acknowledge there is good Linux tech support
    - it's just too expensive for them
    - they don't know how to find it

A good marketing person would hear this and think: how can I solve these
potential customers' problems using some form of Linux (open source)
solution? What is my company/I capable of doing and how does this
address the first question?

DSL

[ps: the job offer sounds interesting but I'm currently in Adelaide; I
can't decide if I'm unemployed, underemployed or simply a contractor
without enough contracts atm)