[Linux-aus] Why Linux is not ready for business

flame flame_ml at aphplix.org
Sun Oct 15 13:46:02 UTC 2006

Actually, as we all know, Linux IS ready for business, it's business
that is not ready for Linux.

I was at the computer shop earlier in the week to pick up another triple
head workstation (3 x 22" wide screens... Mmmmm....) (came with Ubuntu
pre-installed btw) and I overheard 3 guys talking about how much they
would save by not buying M$ office. Ofcourse I had to suggest that an
even better option was to ditch winblows altogether and use Linux with
Open Office. Now this kind of comment a few years ago was always met
with either "WTF is Linux" or some complaint that program x (almost
always MYOB or MSN Messenger) would not work on Linux, but this time I
got a different answer; "I can't find/afford support for Linux. I can
pick up a windows tech on any street corner but a decent Linux tech is
almost impossible to find and they costs a fortune."

So what is the answer here? Is it really that hard for a business to
find affordable Linux techs? And as for finding one that is decent, is
that really any harder then finding a decent windows tech? I know there
are a lot of them out there, but my experience is that most of them are
crap.

Anyway, that's my rant for now.

Also, if anyone around here is looking for a job doing PHP back-end
development in Brisbane let me know, I'm Interviewing candidates now to
start ASAP. Good money (performance based bonuses), CBD location,
Awesome development hardware (see triple head comment above),
Challenging work, No HTML!

--
flame
ph : 0431 918 535