[Linux-aus] President's Report: August / September 2006

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Sat Oct 7 15:26:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:59:46AM -0400, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > This is the Free Software community, not a corporate marketing strategy.
>
> Ah yes, let's pooh-pooh good practice because it sounds like something paid
> people would do!

I was merely pointing out that the emphasis should and must be on
encouraging community involvement -- the relationship is not one of
producer and consumer. For that reason, an embargo is inappropriate;
withholding information in order to dupe people into coming to a
conference they wouldn't otherwise go to is not fair on community
members.

As for announcing Mel8ourne too soon, I think the concern is misplaced.
LCA2007 and LCA2008 are different conferences, with a different set of
awesome talks in each. Promoting a view such as that would be a more
constructive way to discourage piking.

Conrad.