[Linux-aus] GPLv3 and Australia - Centre seminar in November

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Oct 4 12:34:17 UTC 2006

Hi all,

this event will likely be of interest to a few of you :) The Cyberlaw Centre
are doing a lot of work around FOSS licensing and other legal stuff
concerning our community, so it should be quite an interesting day.

Who knows, maybe we can get RMS or Eben out here :)

I don't know if they are charging anything, but write to them and let them
know what you'd like to see so we can make sure it is useful to the
FOSS community.

Cheers,
Pia

----- Forwarded message from Graham Greenleaf <graham at austlii.edu.au> -----

Dear all,

The Centre is proposing to host a seminar on 30 November entitled "General
Public License version 3 (GPL v3) and Australia" - see
http://www.cyberlawcentre.org/2006/gpl/ for brief background.

We hope that submissions from the project into the GPL revision process will
result. One particular angle I think we should examine is whether the
revised licence will be sufficiently 'internationalised' to be likely to be
upheld by courts in countries such as Australia. Or will it be an American
'one size fits all'?  Comments very welcome.

Speakers, sponsors etc are now being organised. We would be particularly
interested to know which of our investigators would like speak (or just to
attend and comment), and which of our industry partners would like to have
an active involvement.  Suggestions for speakers or other potential sponsors
are also very welcome.

Abi  <abi at austlii.edu.au>  is taking the running on coordinating this, so
feel free to contact her in the first place, or just reply back to this list
for any general discussion.

Cheers,

Graham

PS  http://gplv3.fsf.org/  gives background on the revision process
Graham Greenleaf

Professor of Law
Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052  Australia (UNSW CRICOS Provider No: 00098G)
Co-Director, Australasian Legal Information Institute (AustLII)
Co-Director, Cyberspace Law and Policy Centre
General Editor, Privacy Law & Policy Reporter

E-mail: g.greenleaf at unsw.edu.au or graham at austlii.edu.au
Web Pages -  http://www2.austlii.edu.au/~graham/
Legal Scholarship Network (LSN) pages - http://ssrn.com/author=57970
Tel: +61 2 9385 2233 (UNSW) +61 2 9569 5310 (Home)
Fax: +61 2 9385 1175 (UNSW) Office: Room 224, Law Faculty Building, UNSW

----- End forwarded message -----

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                 "I dig your vibe." - Rove McManus to Ice T