[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Website

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 11:08:02 UTC 2006

(Note to all: can we at least have sane Reply-Tos and/or M-F-Ts?)
(IMO this discussion should take place on w-t at l.l.o.a from now on.)

On 11/19/06, Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org> wrote:
> Here is a simple answer for you. I know Joomla does this, and I'm sure
> others can but jus thave a wrapper around the current member_db page. I have
> a wrapper around a planet feed for my ASK-OSS project at
> http://ask-oss.mq.edu.au/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=72 so it looks
> like a normal part of the site, but it is just the site wrapper around an
> existing thing.

That does *not* look like a normal part of the site on my system. (OK
so I did change my system settings so that everything is blue, but...)

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4156/b3mv3.png

If a wrapper type system is to be implemented then it has to be
implemented properly, better than Joomla's.

Now that Drupal has been chosen I still think it is better to rewrite
and put in as a Drupal module, using Drupal's user tracking system, so
that votes could be made using Drupal authentication and a page that
could be easily embedded into the menu system. This is integration on
the user, the admin and the technical backend level that can't happen
any other way. (It would be easier using Plone or another even more
modular system with a better API, but since Drupal has been chosen for
now we have to stick with that.)

--
Andrew Donnellan
-- Email - ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)
Jabber - ajdlinux at jabber.org.au
GPG - hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0x5D4C0C58
Member of Linux Australia - http://linux.org.au
Debian user - http://debian.org