[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Website

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Fri Nov 17 19:04:01 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 19:32 +1030, Michael Davies wrote:
> On 11/17/06, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > James, as you said MemberDB integration is important, however I would
> > suggest a possible rewrite of MemberDB in whatever language we end up
> > using. IMHO it is a bit too complex for a relatively simple members
> > database+elections system, also if we end up using Zope or Django or
> > another Python based system with an object database it would be very
> > easy to port and simpler than the current system.
>
> Umm, why would you need to rewrite it?  Why not embed it?
>
> I haven't looked at Stewart's code, but if possible, reuse, reuse, reuse!

I agree with the reuse philosophy, it appeals to the lazy programmer
inside of me.

That is part of why I am leaning away from a "Write it yourself" type
system.

As I said before I'm leaning towards Drupal. I know its php, however the
combination of a large install base, extendable framework plus the large
compliment of already built modules and the ability to build new modules
on top is whats attracting me.

With regards to member_db there is a couple of different ways we could
attack it. Firstly we could have it hang off the main site as a
subdomain or a directory as Jeff suggests, or we can integrate it into
the main site, both have good and bad points.

Either way, this is not going to affect the elections for this year.

I've setup #la-web under Freenode for those who want to discuss this
more. There is also a web team mailing list, but it needs to be cleaned
up a bit I think.
--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member