[Linux-aus] Student Run ICT

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Thu May 18 14:28:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 14:26 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> I've had a request from one of our international friends for ideas on
> student managed infrastructure in Universities/TAFE/High Schools.
>
> The basic concept is the students take over the running/management of
> part of the ICT resource as part-time employees, responsible to a
> manager from the Edu org. Thus giving the students some real world
> experience.
>
> If anyone has any stories or knows of anything like this then please
> send it through to this list.

There's been YoYo at Monash University - a general access UNIX machine.
Always run by volunteer students, for students (and staff) where doing
actual work was banned :)

Less relevant these days due to everybody being able to get their hands
on a UNIX like system and internet.

At high school I was part of a group that helped educate other students
on how to use the internet (web, mail and usenet mostly). Now everybody
knows about it though. We also did the school's web site.

--
Stewart Smith (stewart at flamingspork.com)
http://www.flamingspork.com/