Re: [Linux-aus] Re: [ALLIES] Re: A Linux for Students project idea

On 3/17/06, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the XP Pro pricing it's probably more towards the $200-300 mark.
> Which still equals:
>      200 x 70 = $14000
>      300 x 70 = $21000
> plus Office, Windows Server 2003, management software, Corel Graphics
> Suite and several other expensive programs.
>
> andrew

An idea which might be worth considering is that schools have these
budgets for software. Schools which then use open source software may
lose funding through not using $$ software.
It may be better to provide fos software with the kinds of frameworks
that Donna is developing or the kinds of resources I am aiming to do
in order to hit a similar price mark to the prop products thereby
giving schools more bang for their buck rather than reducing their
spend power.

Cheers

Janet