[Linux-aus] An abridged history of #linuxaus and Linux Australia IRC

Janet Hawtin lucychili at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 28 14:42:03 UTC 2006

Craige McWhirter wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 19:18 +0800, Gary Allpike wrote:

>>A brief history of #linuxaus.
>>I first started the #linuxaus channel about 10 years ago or so - I'm too
>>old to remember exactly - on the oz.org network.

> On Freenode, the official LA channel of #linux-aus
>
> On OFTC, the older but un-official channel of #linuxaus
>
> Subtle differences but these channels are worlds away as far as members,
> spirit and behaviour goes. Having both #linux-aus and #linuxaus on OFTC
> would be interesting but I can't see any problems off hand (although
> that doesn't mean there won't be any).

Personally I drift between channels anyway.
Currently the friendliness of #ubuntu-au is a good space to hang out.
Other channels where I am interested in the RL project but the irc
channel hasn't proven useful I don't bother.

Its probably the same for most people and for most channels.
They will have different cultures and their ability to find enough
people who like their flavour is what keeps them active and attractive
to new folk.

Ive not irced in linuxaus but if theyve got a channel active for ten
years without being officially promoted then there is a community of
interest there for that 'space'. I say rock on for all the different
points of contact.

If LA wants to move its official channel then go for it.
There could possibly be a community of freenode people
who stay put, no biggy. Perhpas as part of that people from aus and -aus
find common ground. Beaut. If not then presumably theres different
cultures that expect to be able to tick along independently.
Also Beaut.

Lifes too short =)

Janet