[Linux-aus] An abridged history of #linuxaus and Linux Australia IRC

Gary Allpike gary at allpikes.com.au
Wed Jun 28 07:47:01 UTC 2006

Robert Stoffers wrote:
> I believe it would also be a shame for Linux Australia to move its IRC channel
> from the network that the majority of the IRC using open source people are.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert Stoffers

Robert,

You are missing the point.

Linux Australia grew out of the IRC channel, not the other way around.
The IRC channel has for at least 4 years or so been on OFTC, lilo DID
solicit money repeatedly via global message, on freenode (or feenode as
it was referred to) - I was there. Theres no FUD, no hacking groups it
happened!

The linuxaus IRC channel has always been the one that is on OFTC - some
other folk populated a channel on freenode, and declared it to be the
official channel of Linux Australia, it never was.

regards

Gary