[Linux-aus] An abridged history of #linuxaus and Linux Australia IRC

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 04:38:02 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 21:48, Gary Allpike wrote:
<snip>

> We then decided to move to what was then openprojects.net.  At about the
> same time, I made the offer to host a server on the OPN network, and
> became (I think) the first AU server on OPN. OPN was a pretty high
> maintenance network, that seemed to have never ending netsplits, crashes
> and other various problems, but that was all part of the fun - before I
> had a wife and 3 children :)

I don't understand what you mean by this, generally Freenode itself takes care
of its network, all you do is provide an account on your box for them to set
things up.  Netsplits happen about as often as any other large network, as do
crashes, which in my experience as a Freenode staff member doesn't happen all
that often.

> We sailed along happily for a couple more years on OPN, but after a
> while the senior admin there "lilo" started to solicit donations of cash
> from people via global messages, something to which the majority of the
> regulars of #linuxaus and certainly myself were very much not in favour
> of, so we decided to jack up our server and move on over to OFTC as
> thats where a lot of the other disenchanted OPN users had migrated to.

This is mostly FUD spread by various hacking groups who see Freenode as a
target, I don't agree at all that he is abusing the network in such a way.
The only mention of his Spinhome project is in Rob Levin's (lilo) away
message and in the topic of #freenode-social as a personal blog. There has
not been a global message even hinting at donating anything to anyone in more
then six months.

> We've been that way ever since. Since the change to OFTC, the IRCD has
> pretty much been maintenance free, and certainly places no admin load on
> the Linux Australia admin team.

When there are only a handful of users using your box then it can certainly
seem that way. If OFTC were to have the same kind of usage that Freenode
currently gets then you would see all the same problems.

> Over the last couple of years, I have not used IRC at all myself, being
> busy with work, kids and life in general, but I have popped back in to
> the channel recently, and must say that it still has a lot of familiar
> old names in it, so the old girl is still kicking along.

In amongst being busy with work, kids and life in general I still find myself
with enough time to administer the Freenode IRC network as well as contribute
to the Ubuntu project in a meaningful way. I do enjoy a bbq on the weekend
and kicking a football around at the park with the kids. Yes my life is full,
but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

> The channel could probably use some fresh life, and a gentle reminder
> about table manners, but it would be a shame for it to lose its
> character and long term regulars all in the name of progress.

I believe it would also be a shame for Linux Australia to move its IRC channel
from the network that the majority of the IRC using open source people are.

Cheers,

Robert Stoffers
--
Member, Ubuntu Linux - http://www.ubuntu.com