[Linux-aus] Legal community and DMCA

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Sat Jun 24 13:49:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 10:53 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> If my reading of this DMCA stuff is right then
>
> The legal community in AU could well have parallel interests in this
> debate. If the DMCA laws make the US patent/copyright holding companies
> have right of way over any AU law then that spells trouble for au legal
> community.

If I recall correctly, one of the big fears when the FTA was being
negotiated was whether Australia was going to lose the right to set it's
own laws according to its own needs. This is a pretty good example of
the loss of sovereignty people were worried about.
--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member