[Linux-aus] Re: SFD

Janet Hawtin lucychili at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 20 00:26:02 UTC 2006

Dale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a software freedom day mail list started for S.A. and the
> link is here to join: http://groups.google.com/group/sfd-sa  If you
> like you like to join you are more than welcome, and plz spead the
> word.

Onya Dale =)

Dale is looking to run an SFD event at Seaford, South of Adelaide.
There may be other folks who would like to do something at other SA
sites or to join Dale at the Seaford Hotel.
Its an airy hotel with a large room upstairs which could fit
an installfest, training, some lanplay - go to the next SVLUG and check
it out. =)

This year I'm focusing on making stuff for folks to use.
I'm working on an SA TShirt design which I will put on cafe press, (or
if theres a better(AU) one of those kinds of systems please let me
know). Dale is looking at the logistics of doing a local print run as well.

I am working on posters which can be used for the petition and
adapted for SFD. Will see how we go.

Bettong group is working on some info cards for new linux users.

Depending on progress I'm still interested in doing a booklet, CD of
creative commons fiction with a loose theme of software freedom, or even
just good cc fiction for school age folk say 10 - 15.
Primarily the goal is to have some stories that the school kids can edit
and change, the licenses, and the software to edit them. Permission to
make and distribute their own derivative works.
Feel free to email something through to me.

Paul Schulz has suggested we do a CD pack for the law schools of the
issues regarding DRM. We listened to this ogg
http://www.redhat.com/v/ogg/060606_moglen.ogg
at the meeting and thought it would be a good thing for local legal
students to think about. We need to ask Moglen & the RedHat folk about
whether that is a permissable thing.

Thats the thoughts from here

Cheers

Janet