[Linux-aus] New site, a request for endorsements and blog buttons!

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Wed Jun 14 18:49:01 UTC 2006

Rusty,

rusty at rustcorp.com.au said:
> Finally, could someone with clever ideas and/or artistic talent create some
> images we can use to stick on web sites?  Y'know, "Don't Ban Open Source",
> "I Own My Music!" etc.

While sticking these images on web sites is good, you should also target
some posters that can be printed off and put up in places with the web site
on the bottom.

I am no artist, but the statement of Mr. Tommi Kyyrä, of IFPI Finland:

"Now, we need to understand that listening to music on your computer is an
extra privilege. Normally people listen to music on their car or through
their home stereos," said Kyyrä.

brings several images to my twisted mind:

I see in my mind's eye people sitting in a church with earmuffs on, sitting
at a concert with earmuffs on.  Or maybe someone jogging beside a car with
a pair of wires coming out of it up to their earphones...with Mr. Kyyrä's
statement on the top and a statement about how far out of touch the music
industry is with the way people listen to their music at the bottom.

As for the statement:

"If you are a Linux or Mac user, you should consider purchasing a regular
CD player."...

Ironically I *do* have a "regular CD player", but the way things are going
in the future I will not be able to play my CDs on that either.  I will have
to have a *special* CD player that will only play *special* CDs/DVDs (well,
it may play a few of my old ones too).

So another image is a person sitting in front of a computer surrounded by
portable CD and DVD players, trying to find one that plays his or her CDs.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.