[Linux-aus] FTA petitions are coming through! Hurray!

Pia Waugh pia at linux.org.au
Fri Jul 28 22:54:07 UTC 2006

Hi all,

We've already had 4 packs of petitions come through to the Linux Australia
PO Box. Thanks to people from Adelaide (SA), Fairfield (Vic), Silvania
Heights (NSW) and Norway. Yes, that's right, we've recieved a package from
Norway :) The more Australian voters we can get the better it will be, so
all you Aussie slackers, get to it! :)

We need to start getting them all in. The reason a date wasn't originally
set was because we weren't sure of the Governments (shifting) timetable, but
everything has been stepped up by them and we are now under time
constraints. We want to be able to take the petitions to the Government
_before_ they have finalised their legislation for implementation, so we can
influence good legislation being written rather than trying to roll back bad
legislation.

So we need you all to get your petitions out there signed and back to us by
about the 7th August. That gives you less than two weeks to finish
collecting signatures and to send it back to us.

Please forward this around to your UGs, and other groups that might be
interested.

Download the petition from http://www.linux.org.au/law/ or
http://iownmymusic.org/ (the second one is a great one to send to your mum,
or friends).

    Don't Ban Innovation Petition
    GPO Box 4788
    Sydney NSW 2001
    Australia

Take it to your UGs, your work places, your family and friends, and even to
the streets. Remember there is also a competition for the people with the
most signatures collected to get to linux.conf.au 2007 with travel and
accomodation provided!

I'll certainly still continue collecting signatures after this initial drive
as I hope many of you will, but we need this first drive of petitions to be
quite strong. It is a pity that Software Freedom Day wasn't earlier, but
I'll still be collecting signatures there too, to help back up what we are
trying to do now.

I think my sig is (coincidently) very appropriate for this email.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

     "Man is born free, yet he is everywhere in chains." - Jean Jacques
                                  Rosseau